Thursday, November 6, 2008

Know Me. Understand Me. See Me.

This week was as exhilarating as it was disappointing. Truly it was amazing to not only see Obama win, but to also hear him mention gays in his acceptance speech. Yet, one cannot help but feel saddened by the harsh set backs the gay community has suffered this same week.

The majority is choosing what is right for the minority and that is profoundly wrong.

From the myriad of voices trying to define marriage between only a man and a woman one cannot help but feel the abject anger, fear, and loathing coming behind the words. It makes you wonder if any of these people know anyone from the GLBTQ community on a truly personal level. We are not scary; we are not the enemy. If only they could know us, see how similar we are, understand that our love is no less, and comprehend that we are not other, not separate-but-equal, or merely to be tolerated. Because, if they knew us, if they could see through our eyes, then maybe they would begin to perceive what it is to hold your head high and with dignity declare that you expect and deserve equality. Maybe we could finally achieve that.


This blog has been created for you to share your voice, your views, and your stories in hopes that those who seek to oppress inherent rights can begin to know and understand that we are all individuals with stories, with families, with lives, and with love.

8 comments:

|Queer Rose said...

What a fantastic new resource! Positive action and a place for us all to come together. I hope that you are inundated with our stories. Wishing you every success QRx
PS what an honour to make the first comment!

Butch Boo said...

Yes a total dichotomy- exreme happiness and extreme sadness.

BB

X

NG said...

As someone who has been subjected to personal attacks, both physical and literal, I always find it interesting how people never seem to care about their rights once it's taken away from them.

I'm happy to see that the gay community finally getting off it's ass, but on a personal level, I wish they had done this sooner.

Queers United said...

I think this offers an amazing opportunity for the queer community to mobilize, I think good will come out of this.

Giorgios Hospitality Group said...

I agree with queerrose and queers united... our stories will help us win in the end and to send our human message of equality to the world.

Our stories are apart of the growing gay revolution- that will bring equality to our community!

NG said...

I think this offers an amazing opportunity for the queer community to mobilize, I think good will come out of this.


Not as long as there are those who seek to divide instead of unite, Eric.

Giorgios Hospitality Group said...

I came up with a new blog: the gay south. Check it out- talking about issues gay southerners face (and probably all glbtq people).

Kelly said...

"It makes you wonder if any of these people know anyone from the GLBTQ community on a truly personal level."

As an ally, I wonder this all the time. However, I have had more than one friend respond to me by saying, "I love them as my friend, but I don't approve of how they are living their life." These same people are in favor of limiting marriage to being between a man and a woman. I wonder if such people would be able to stand face-to-face with their friend and say, "You shouldn't have the same rights as me because you are gay."